View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AS3, Flex2 support ETA 

Ok this has been asked before, but if possible i'd like a few details cleared up.

Is AS3/Flex2 support actually planned for the next release candidate or is it more in the range of 6 months to a year?

I'm currently considering purchasing Flex2 but I prefer FlashDevelop to Eclipse (by far), but if there's no support for a long while i might just as well settle with Flex2 and Eclipse.

Thanks

PS: Here is a quick list of things that would need to be done (off the top of my head):

for AS3
    + add a new language definition for AS3 (since file extension is the same as AS2, you could check the file for some AS3 specific keywords in order to determine its type (such as a package declaration))
    + AS2 autocompletion seems to be working for typed variables in AS3, would only need tweaking the for the new package system
    + inline XML declaration highlighting

for Flex2
    + create a language definition for mxml (atm it opens as XML which is half good)
    + i don't know if this is possible but <mx:Script> tags should be AS3 highlighted with completion and all
    + in the same vein <mx:Style> tags should be CSS highlighted
    add

PPS: as for the AS3 and Flex2 classes, I'm sure I could write a script to extract all the information from the documentation and create some huge data file (i believe you call this the intrisics? i am not familiar with that however)

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:27 pm
Admin

FlashDevelop 2 officially targets AS2 only.

AS3/Flex2 support is planned for a next version of FD. It may be called FD 3 as for it's AS3 support. This new version has been started already but I can't give you a timeline for production-quality AS3 support. However I hope we can have a beta version in a few monthes.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Are you actually planning mxml/flex 2 support?

Personally, I'm only interested in the AS3 support, which would be less work than all of Flex 2. I'd rather not purchase Flex Builder 2, if FD is eventually going to have at least AS3 support. So if there is anything that I can do to help, let me know.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:22 pm
Admin

Are you actually planning mxml/flex 2 support?

Personally, I'm only interested in the AS3 support, which would be less work than all of Flex 2. I'd rather not purchase Flex Builder 2, if FD is eventually going to have at least AS3 support. So if there is anything that I can do to help, let me know.

MXML tag/attribute completion can be done like the HTML completion (people interested can start a similar tags file as for the HTML engine).

AS3 is the priority - but you shouldn't count too much on AS3 in MXML completion. BTW, please note that our editor component is NOT able to handle multiple syntax coloring (like AS in MXML, or JS in HTML, etc).

PS: I still need a few weeks before beeing able to spend some quality time on FD development...

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:26 pm
Profile WWW

that's cool. if i were going to do flex 2 / mxml development, i probably would go with flex builder, for the visual layout tools. I'm just looking for pure as3 application building support. :)

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:06 pm

Can you provide a little more detail on how we can add MXML support? Should we create a MXML.xml file in Settings/Languages? Is there a step required to get the IDE to use that file?

I am also curious about whether or not you're still looking for community assistance for the AS3 support/auto-completion. I am more than willing to help but am new to FD so I would need some direction. Give us some guidance and set us loose! :)

Thanks, you've made a great product.
Ben

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:59 am

i think you need to write a plugin in order to actually add new languages

personnally im real lazy so i modified the AS language definition so that it supports AS3, and will probably modify the xml language definition for MXML support

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:11 am
Admin

Can you provide a little more detail on how we can add MXML support?

HTML completion creates a description file that you can edit if you like: <FD>/Data/XMLCompletion.xml.
Some basic MXML completion could be achieved by creating a similar file to add the MXML tags/attributes and updating the XMLCompletion plugin to use it. However I think this could be somewhat tedius to write - maybe it will be possible to eventually directly use the framework's mx classes to feed the MXML completion.

Quote:
I am also curious about whether or not you're still looking for community assistance for the AS3 support/auto-completion.

If we want AS3 support in FD, we will need to have complete intrinsic classes of the top-level classes (is there still 'global.as' in the framework?) and the flash.* packages (is that all?).
The last minor annoyance will be to write the AS3 syntax file. The new parser is able to detect the AS version so it will be possible to switch to the right syntax file easily.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:17 am
Profile WWW

beyond new packages and classes, there are a couple other major differences between AS2 and AS3 that I would imagine will affect parsing.

1. Probably the biggest, package declarations.

AS2:

class com.bit101.stuff.MyClass {
}

AS3:

package com.bit101.stuff {
public class MyClass {
}
}

Note also that classes have access modifiers, and you can have helper classes outside of the package.

2. New access modifiers: protected, internal.

As long as the parser can handle that stuff, I'm sure the community would pitch in and help create intrinsic files

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:17 am

personnally im real lazy so i modified the AS language definition so that it supports AS3

You want to share? :)

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:19 am
Admin

As long as the parser can handle that stuff, I'm sure the community would pitch in and help create intrinsic files

The new parser already handles all that stuff. Only the support for custom namespaces is not completely implemented.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:14 pm
Profile WWW

so all that is really needed is the intrinsic files for the top level stuff and packages?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 pm

HTML completion creates a description file that you can edit if you like: <FD>/Data/XMLCompletion.xml.
The only thing in my Data folder is the ProjectTemplates folder.

Quote:
is there still 'global.as' in the framework?
Doesn't seem to be a file by this name anywhere in my (trial) FB installation.

Quote:
we will need to have complete intrinsic classes of the top-level classes ... and the flash.* packages
OK, what exactly is an intrinsic class and how do we go about creating them?

Thanks,
Ben

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:26 pm
Admin

so all that is really needed is the intrinsic files for the top level stuff and packages?

Kind of :)

There's also a lot of work on updating the settings management & completion engine to support the various AS versions with the updated parser and internal object model. Not to mention more complex access modifiers.

But the big part is that AS3 completion can not be "lazy" anymore - all class files have to be explored to be get the package-level declarations. This dev' has already nicely started - but it needs some smart caching and I expect a bunch of bugs to happen around this question.

Last edited by Philippe on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Quote:
The only thing in my Data folder is the ProjectTemplates folder.

Quote:
is there still 'global.as' in the framework?
Doesn't seem to be a file by this name anywhere in my (trial) FB installation.

Quote:
we will need to have complete intrinsic classes of the top-level classes ... and the flash.* packages
OK, what exactly is an intrinsic class and how do we go about creating them?

Thanks,
Ben

The file <FD>/Data/XMLCompletion.xml should be created as soon as you start editing an HTML file.

An intrinsic class is the signature of a class - these classes are not compiled in the SWF but they are used by the compiler for type checking (and by FD for code hinting). See for example in <FD>\tools\mtasc\std - these are MTASC's AS2 intrinsic classes.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next