View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Suddenly slow playback during Debug - Unless using Profiler 

I ran into a strange issue with a sudden performance drop in debugging with FlashDevelop -- and a workaround that sort of fixes things -- and was hoping someone could enlighten me on what's happening and why this "fix" seems to be helping:

When creating a Debug build of an AS3 project and debugging through FlashDevelop, one day the SWF was suddenly slow and jerky with the frame rate. I'd been using the same system and version of FlashDevelop for the past 6+ months with no changes at all, where the debugging SWF played back flawlessly at the target 30 fps, but suddenly one day when testing a new build it took a performance hit and stuttered into 15-20 fps territory. If I played the SWF on its own (not debugging through FlashDevelop), it played back perfectly fine, so there wasn't any issue with the project itself, just a sudden performance hit with the debugger. I tried updating from 4.6 to 4.7, but this didn't affect the slow performance at all.

Here's the strange thing that seems to fix it though: If I start the SWF Profiler in FlashDevelop before compiling a Debug build, suddenly the playback and performance is back to normal! No stuttering or slow framerate, and it's debugging and outputting traces as it should, with no performance hit.

I have no idea why I got the sudden performance hit in the first place (after it had been working fine for months and months), but I also have no idea why running the SWF Profiler would suddenly fix the issue for me. For now I'll just keep using the SWF Profiler so I can debug with good performance, but I was hoping someone might know why running the Profiler improves things (which might lead me to whatever the performance problem was in the first place). Hopefully my description makes sense, if you have any other questions about it let me know. This is on Windows 8.1, using FD 4.6 and 4.7, with no recent updates to Windows, Java, Flex SDK, or anything else related to FD as far as I know. Thanks!

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:26 pm

What if you go to %USERPROFILE% and rename mm.cfg?

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:29 pm

It doesn't seem to make a difference, it still has slow and stuttering playback with mm.cfg renamed (unless I have the Profiler started, then it runs fine again...)

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm also experiencing this problem, and many thanks to you FiliplineStudios, that workaround helps a lot!

I've also tried using various FlashDevelop versions as well as a completely clean reinstall and still no good.

Hope a solution will be found soon.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 am

Resurrecting this thread because I have recently started experiencing this same issue. Mega slow-down if debugger is running, unless you start the SWF Profiler...

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 pm

I've noticed this as well, but the main reason I was initially getting 30fps was because I had just started using flashdevelop and had made the mistake of using the 64-bit JDK-11. This meant that debugging didn't work properly and the most I could get was trace capturing, but the framerate was good. Then I switched to a 32-bit JDK and proper debugging worked while framerate suffered.

The best solution I found was to use Chrome's flash plugin instead of the flash player standalone (Firefox's flash plugin also has bad framerate). First, you'll need to download and install the flash plugin debugger for Chrome. The version I got was 31.0.0.153. You also want to make sure that your .swf file is wrapped in an index.html file, because Chrome is very finicky about opening raw .swf's. My index.html just looks like this:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>
<object width="683" height="384" data="NameOfSwfFile.swf"></object>
</body>
</html>

Then, inside of your project properties, you run a custom command like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe";--disable-bundled-ppapi-flash --ppapi-flash-path="C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_31_0_0_153.dll" "C:\Users\<UserName>\Path\to\Project\bin\index.html"

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]