View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
FD on Linux revisit 

Here is a proof-of-concept screenshot of FlashDevelop running on my Ubuntu machine:
(In case the image URL expires, visit: http://twitpic.com/30z9ld/full)

Assuming you are familiar with Wine & Linux, here's how I installed it:
1. Make sure your Wine is updated to version 1.3+
2. Create a fresh wineprefix
3. Use winetricks to install these additional library: dotnet20, gdiplus, riched20
4. Run FD installer and install it as standalone version.
5. To make the side and bottom panels usable, I had to detach them from the main window's docks and let them float as in screenshot.

That's all. With this installation, I can manage projects, edit .as files with full code hint and completion...
Besides, I've managed to use it to build AS3 project with JRE for Win and run the debugger with Linux-native Flash Player (as in screenshot).
(Right now I don't have time to write a detailed HOWTO. But if many of you need it, I'm happy to share with you guys. So just let me know if you're interested).

My main purpose of this post is to show the POC screenshot and raise some issues when I tried to use FD on Linux, including:
1. The panels don't behave very well when they are attached to side docks. For example, the default bottom panels don't render correctly when they are attached to bottom dock. The project manager panel (when docked) display correctly only in the first run. When I close FD and run it again, project panel doesn't seem to respond.
2. Tooltip doesn't show correctly after a while
3. The toolbars don't show up. (But I still can access every command from menu bar)
4. The output panel is grey out once I clear it or the compiler is run a second time.
5. Debugger sometimes lost connection with native Flash Player in the middle of debugging session
6. I have to run FD from terminal in order to launch fdbuild correctly.
7. Sizing of floating panels has issues sometimes when I minimize and restore the application

From all of the above, the output panel and tooltip issues are the most annoyed ones. If they are fixed, I dare to say that FD experience on Linux/Wine can reach to 70-80% of its full usability. Right now I'm running it on my Ubuntu machine to code some demos and tests because project creation is much simpler and faster compared to other Eclipse-based IDEs.

I don't know much about C# and Visual Studio but I have a hand-full experience with Wine. I'm willing to cooperate with FD creators/coders to take care of these issues to have a workable build of FD on Linux while waiting for the real multiplatform FD.

Last edited by ttt_conan on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Hey that looks good! We are already working on FD4 and i will do my best to make FD run on Linux with this setup. I need to finish the base work for FD4 and setup a Linux dev install/machine to jump on this. I'll keep you posted on the matter.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile WWW

hello. I would be interested in the details. I have installed everything, set all the paths, building works, but when I trie to run sth, it displays that it wants to connect flashplayer with the debugger. I tried the windows and the linux version of flashplayer. but sth. is not working. do I have to do sth. else beneath installing jre, and choosing location of flash fiewer?

thanks in advance

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:45 pm

@ cellstorm: To run and test your application, you should create an association of file type .swf with either Windows or Linux Flash Player.

Create a swf.reg file with these contents:
Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.swf]
@="SWFfile"
"Content Type"="application/x-shockwave-flash"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SWFfile\Shell\Open\command]
@="PATH_TO_YOUR_FLASH_PLAYER \"%1\""

Replace PATH_TO_YOUR_FLASH_PLAYER with the physical path to FlashPlayerDebugger.exe in Flex SDK.

Or if you want to run with Linux player instead, simply write the last line:
@="winebrowser \"%1\""
By using winebrowser, Wine will open the file with the associated program set in Linux.

Then, open terminal and run:
~$ wine regedit swf.reg

If anything unclear, read this note for more detail:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-e03d797 ... bc28ad33d4

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 am
Profile WWW

I have patched FlashDevelop to temporarily fix the issue of tooltip & output panel discussed above.

Here's my POC video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d542anpD-Lg
Here's the patch (bin & source): http://code.google.com/p/thanhtran-sources/downloads/detail?name=FlashDevelop332_Wine_Patch.zip&can=2&q=

Anyone interested in a detailed tutorial? ;)

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Admin

Fantastic!

I suppose there is still a problem with file system changes monitoring? what happens if you create an new folder in a subdirectory of the project - does it appear in the project panel?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 am
Profile WWW

You are right Philippe. The project panel is a little bit unresponsive. When I try to add a new folder, sometimes it show the new folder right away and let me rename it, sometimes I have to click refresh to see the new folder.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Admin

ttt_conan wrote:
You are right Philippe. The project panel is a little bit unresponsive. When I try to add a new folder, sometimes it show the new folder right away and let me rename it, sometimes I have to click refresh to see the new folder.

It's not a problem of responsiveness actually - the problem is that FD use a Filesystemwatcher with "watch subdirectories" set, and this doesn't work in Mac/Linux filesystem. So this is still something to fix.

I suppose your changes (can you just provide the patched files?) can be gathered into a "compatibility" mode that can be activated when running under Wine (I wonder if we have a way to detect it).

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am
Profile WWW

The patch source files are included in the download above. Basically, I prevent turning wordwrap of RichTextBox on and avoid switching scrollbars mode so often. These are some issues of a Windows' control that may eventually be fixed from Wine team. This patch may be not needed in the future.

I have consulted Wine's FAQ some time ago and unfortunately, it clearly says that there's no way we can detect an application is running under Wine/Linux environment. But your idea about a compatibility mode is great. User will manually turn it on if they are running FD on Wine.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 am
Profile WWW

Conan, first of all, thanx for your efforts.

I tried to run FD4 under wine and it works, but of course without working panels. So I applied the patch and got an error: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3301154/FD4-error.png

Any idea, what can be a problem, here?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Looks like I ran into the same error when trying to patch FD4.
The possible problem is that the patched files and the FD build doesn't come the same revision. (I patched and compiled coreplugin.dll from head revision then copy it to a FD built from older version.)
When I tried to check out the exact revision of the FD build (mine is 1751), patched from there and the error was gone.
That's my case.

If have time, maybe I can patch and upload the binary for latest build of FD4.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 pm
Profile WWW

Tried this, running a Ubuntu 11.04 dev release, though, so everything is unstable as hell atm...(it feels that way at least, I have things crashing on me right and left)

Anyhow, nearly got it to look like the screenshot, with the exception that the windows are all unthemed/are out of place, etc. Also my project files center doesn't work when I save more than one file to my home folder.

Otherwise, encouraging to see this actually somewhat works. Look forward to seeing better integration in FD4!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 am

I followed your steps and succesfully installed FD in Ubuntu 11.04. I even blogged the experience in spanish ( http://camboris.blogspot.com/2011/05/instanlando-flashdevelop-en-ubuntu.html )
I wanted to know if the patches were already included in the last version of FD 4?
There is something we can do to provide feedback so FD runs better under Wine?

Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 pm

The patch is for FD3.3.2 only (may be 3.3.4 will works) but it is absolutely not compatible with FD4.
I have a plan to patch FD4 when it is released officially. Currently, I'm testing FD4 R1864 in Ubuntu 11.04 and found that the tooltip is completely unusable. (It seems to appear when context requests but only a 1px height line is visible). I'm investigating the source code in order to have it fixed.

Mon May 23, 2011 1:29 am
Profile WWW

Great to know you're working on FD4.
Please, if you need any help testing or whatever you may think necessary, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do what I can to help you.

Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next