View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Would like to switch from Flex Builder to Flash Develop ... 

I need tips, threads, any posts that can help me out here. I'm suffering from a bug in Flex Builder listed here:

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-16153

It's driving me mad. Rip out hair, roll on the floor ... mad. In fact, funny story ... I got so mad last night that I slammed my fists on my desk ... only to have the vibration reboot my computer. It was awful.

So. I have used FlashDevelop in the past, and I love it for pure AS3 projects. But what if I want to do complex Flex projects with modules, html templates ... etc. Flex Builder makes all of these things so easy to achieve. But what if I want to do all these things in FlashDevelop?

I hear little bits about ANT every so often ... but it's so foreign to me. I have no idea where to start.

Things I would like to accomplish with FlashDevelop:

- Framework RSL
- compile modules
- build html templates
- build css swf's
- build Flex Library's

How do I do accomplish this? Do I need to learn ANT? If so ... please direct me to a place where I can learn. Please don't say the Apache ANT site.

Thanks!

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Admin

Well FlashDevelop is a like a Swiss army knife so i think most of the things you want accomplish are doable. Could be more specific what kind of stuff you want to do?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 am
Profile WWW

Things I would like to accomplish with FlashDevelop:

- Framework RSL
- compile modules
- build html templates
- build css swf's
- build Flex Library's

So for item number one, I have a vast set of modules that I make numerous changes to all at once. So what would be the best way to build all these modules and the shell application at once (while checking to make sure I compile only the classes needed for each module)

Like many people, I like externalizing the rsl swz and swf framework code from my application. How do I achieve this?

I have a template setup in Flex Builder that builds that file and other javascript needed on each compile. How would I build in FlashDevelop?

I have numerous css swfs depending on which module, etc is loaded. How do I compile css to swf?

And finally with Flex Builder I would create a Flex Library Project, tell it which assets to compile ... and on I go with a compiled swc file. How is this achieved in FlashDevelop?

I guess I'm wondering about build automation, and what is the most effective and efficient way to set all of this up?

Or ... is there some sort of mail-order ANT developer program I should be subscribing to ...

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:46 am

>> I have a template setup in Flex Builder that builds that file and other javascript needed on each compile. How would I build in FlashDevelop?

This is certainly doable as you can write those templates per project type yourself in FD (there're quite a lot of environmental variables that'd help you do it - once the project is created, the environmental variables are replaced with their value). And you certainly may have as many templates as you want.

>> Like many people, I like externalizing the rsl swz and swf framework code from my application. How do I achieve this?

Shouldn't you just put the framework SWC into -compiler.external-library-path ? Just asking, not sure...

>> I guess I'm wondering about build automation, and what is the most effective and efficient way to set all of this up?

So far I've achieved this with .BAT files + pre-build / post-build commands, but, yes, FD doesn't have any sort of "solutions" aka sets of projects yet... though it seems like that is on the to-do list...

>> I have numerous css swfs depending on which module, etc is loaded. How do I compile css to swf?

It should be possible to compile CSS files. (I.e. you simply select the CSS file in the project tab > right-click > always compile).

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:12 pm
Admin

- FD projects include an HTML/JS template - it doesn't include a JS for browser back button management but you can easily add SWFAddress for similar functionnality.

- Modules and CSS are certainly a weakness of FD: you should create one project per module/CSS and study carefully MXMLC compiler options to optimize the modules.

- Framework RSL configuration:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3291

- There is some work on SWC library publishing (there should be a RC2-compatible version in the thread):
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4099

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:53 am
Profile WWW

Philippe and wvxvw ... thank you so much for your honestly, and taking the time to answer some of my questions. I bought the Flex Cookbook a bit ago, and realized that it has a ton of material on mxmlc compiler options. I'll be reading up more on that, and might come back here with more questions. You've been most helpful, thanks!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]