View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Convert Dynamic Flash animation to Animated GIF on server? 

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how a Flash animation could be used to create a dynamic GIF serverside.

for instance...

* I have a video of someone holding a blank sign (slight movement)
* I manually track the path of a dynamic textfield onto the sign across the timeline (ie a crude "2D Projection mapping")
* I compile this inside a movieclip into a SWC library item allowing me to embed it into FD and control the movieclip timeline etc
* I then want to output the animation to disk as an animated GIF somehow, but all realtime on the server for multiple users via web requests
(ie I don't want to be running a Flash/AIR desktop runtime on the server)

this is where i get stuck as to what's possible. I'm thinking i could

1) execute mxmlc from PHP and replace the dynamic text in the animated movieclip
2) user an AS3 GIFEncoder to create a GIF byte stream
3) write the GIF to disk ? could this actually be done via mxmlc? ie can it run the swf or only compile it?

I'm not really sure about nekovm, mtasc etc. As far as I know a long time back you could do this with Macromedia Generator and an .swt flash template file. (And Generator could output GIF)

again I want to do all this serverside but am not sure as to what's available. Is there a better solution?

Flash ie AS3 is preferable as the image manipulation software as some of the filters etc applicable to a textfield (glow, blur etc) aren't easily available within PHP's GD2 etc as far as I know. And the IDE is preferable for doing the manual path tracking.

thanks for any suggestions
J.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Admin

Not sure what's possible nowadays - it always has been a very hard problem to convert a (moderately complex) SWF to video/gif on the server.

Generating a SWF is relatively easy (mtasc, swftools, haxe...) but conversion to video or gif is really hard.

Found an interesting product, but that may be expensive:
https://developer.stupeflix.com/documentation/

Otherwise you might want to try OpenFL or NME: you can create a native linux app that has Flash-like rendering capabilities, can load (very) simple SWF animations, and has filesystem access for saving the result.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]