View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Flash is deader than the deadest death, the return. 

So, apparently Facebook and Mozilla are set to kill Flash.
I can't really blame them, given Adobe themselves don't seem to give much of a crap anymore, and as many of you I am sure, I am not a full time flash developer anymore.

But I was wondering.
What are the usage for FlashDevelop nowadays?
What are people using it for the most except for Flash?
Haxe/OpenFl?
JavaScript?
I'm guessing not Loom...

And mostly, what does it means for the future of FlashDevelop?
Is it gonna turn into HaxeDevelop or something?

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Lately I've started using OpenFl for my personal projects. I can honestly say it's a very good experience!
It's basicly like programming flash, but with the option to go much lower or much higher.
It can import SWF's and use them on all platforms (some platforms are more compatible that others).
The export to html5, android or flash is in a switch of a button. Exporting AIR project for android was a huge mess for me in FlashDevelop (maybe others could do it with much more ease), but with OpenFl, after installing all the sdk, ndk, ant and stuff, it's as easy as making a flash project. And even this installation is automatically with openfl tools.

Some of the language features works best only on flash platform, but the OpenFl team is working on solving these problems. For migrating from flash, this is the best solution for me.
And, of course, FlashDevelop makes it very easy :)

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:37 am

Yes, OpenFl is starting to be solid, but it's not magic.
I had a few professional projects running with it.
And I got a few scares occasionally where some stuff was going extremely wrong.

Because a function would work with one target but not the other.
Because it's hard to debug properly.
Because bugs bugs bugs.

Except for the bugs themselves, I think FlashDevelop could be great at making OpenFl even better.
If when building for the neko vm, for example, FlashDevelop was to provide the same debugging tools as for Flash, that would help a lot *wink* *wink*

Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:47 pm

I use FlashDevelop to create Adobe AIR apps/games (for iOS and Android) in my personal time. At work I use it to prototype all sorts of things, even quick utilities/websites, but mostly prototyping for mobiles, kiosks and TV. The prototypes range from quick mock-ups/user journeys to complete fully functional apps and UIs.

It's definitely more niche these days but I still earn a good living from Flash/AIR.

FlashDevelop is still one of the best IDE's out there for being lightweight and fully functional. I'm also playing about with Haxe/OpenFL quite a bit and liking what I see.

I also do HTML5/JS work but it's nowhere near the joy it is to use Flash/AIR and just get on with creating cool stuff. :)

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:40 am
Admin

Support for AS/Flex/AIR will be still around and lets see what happens in that space but currently all or most FD devs use Haxe and its extras for work and pleasure. If you are doing HTML/JS, you totally should check Haxe JS world. And Haxe overall.

FlashDevelop will be still around and we will continue to improve it as we have done the past 10 years. The world evolves and so does FD and us. :)

Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Admin

AS2/3 isn't going away anytime soon, but the Haxe Foundation as asked for a HaxeDevelop distribution (mostly new branding and Haxe templates).

The company I work for is using Haxe to essentially target classical HTML/JS. We just manipulate the DOM and can use cool JS libraries if needed. But with a better language. We could use ES6/TypeScript but it would really feel like a step back, even if that's still better than vanilla JS.

Lime/OpenFL isn't for the faint of heart, because bugs, but HaxeFlixel/HaxePunk based on OpenFL seem to be reliable enough. Maybe NME would be a better framework to use as it doesn't try to do as much as OpenFL.

Debugging: not sure about Neko, but there are plans for having an interactive Haxe C++ debugger. That said I would love to have a JS debugger but that's a big undertaking to plug into Chrome remote debugging API.

Loom is a small niche, but I got recent confirmation that it is definitely being used by Loom developers.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

horsetopus wrote:
But I was wondering.
What are the usage for FlashDevelop nowadays?

Flash development will never go away as long as Scaleform is a thing. Trying to develop UI for massive games in the native Flash IDE is impossible without driving yourself insane, which is where FlashDevelop comes in ;) You gotta remember that Flash/ActionScript is used for a lot more than just websites and internet content.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]