View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Project Explorer not refreshing 

Sorry if this has been posted before as I am just starting to try FlashDevelop. I am using RC2.

I start a new project using the Standard Project template.

If I right click on the classes folder and choose Add > New Class. Give it a name (ie test) the file opens in the editor but the file never shows in the Project Explorer.

Also If I choose Add > Folder it does not show as well. It creates a Folder called New Folder and never shows in the Explorer.

If I right click on the project in the project explorer and choose Properties and cancel out of the dialog the project refreshes. Also Right clicking and toggling the show hidden files causes the screen to refresh. But I cannot rename the "New Folder"s because FlashDevelop has the locked (I think because they should normally display the rename dialog right away).

Thanks for your help
Mike

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:43 pm
Admin

Are your files located on your harddrive or on the network?
Network folders sometimes fail to notify for file updates.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:50 pm
Profile WWW

That would probably be the issue then they are located on a network share.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:51 pm
Admin

See How to connect and disconnect a network drive in Windows XP. It may help.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:55 pm
Profile WWW

I am at work and the files are stored on a Novell Server. It is my "home drive" and I have full rights to the location. The location is then mapped to the H:. I am using the H: and not he UNC path.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Having the same problem here, again using a network share mapped to Z:

I understand that network drives don't notify updates, but as FlashDevelop (or the project panel) is creating the updates, handling the renaming of folders/ files and creating the new folders/files, would it be possible to rescan and redisplay the path after each update to ensure it's up to date?

Obviously, if I drag a bunch of files into the folder outside of FD I'm not expecting it to automatically update, but when FD has created the change it would be nice not to have to do the Toggle Hidden Folder workaround.

Cheers!

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:59 pm
Admin

I didn't expect so many people would be opening projects over network shares! I guess I've just been using version control systems myself for so long...

The "add new folder" and "add new class" methods basically depend on the system telling me when folders are changed, and that notification system isn't always supported over a network share.

I think the best thing to do is to fix those methods, and also add a "Refresh" button to resync the tree from the network manually.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Actually, if the network (through a mapped drive or not) is properly configured (I can't give advices) the filesystem updates are correctly notified to FD so we shouldn't add hacks there.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

- There is a new toolbar above the project tree that includes a Refresh button to refresh the selected node manually

- The project explorer is smarter about network shares - if you do something to a file/folder in the tree, it will make sure to recheck the folder itself after a small delay.

So it's no longer totally dependant on the filesystemwatcher. I would be curious to know if the delay (500ms) is enough time for the update to happen though.

Wed May 24, 2006 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Admin

Ok, to address this:

- There is a new toolbar above the project tree that includes a Refresh button to refresh the selected node manually

- The project explorer is smarter about network shares - if you do something to a file/folder in the tree, it will make sure to recheck the folder itself after a small delay.

So it's no longer totally dependant on the filesystemwatcher. I would be curious to know if the delay (500ms) is enough time for the update to happen though.

I think 500ms is a bit short. Our network sometimes freezes for a few seconds.

Wed May 24, 2006 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]