View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Breakpoints not being hit in debugger anymore. 

I was debugging just fine, and all of the sudden the next run stopped hitting breakpoints. There are no errors. The debugger connects and the trace window displays all the traces from the application. Nothing is different, aside from breakpoints just not being hit. FYI, I debug by choosing "Debug > Start Remote Session", then I refresh the movie in my browser after clearing the cache, and it connects to the debugger (the debug version of flash player is installed in my browser). Has been working fine for months.

All breakpoints are enabled. I tried deleting them all, then adding new ones. I tried adding break points to the main application constructor; nothing. I tried checking "enable debugging" in publish settings and publishing from Flash. I tried compiling with "ctrl + shift + enter" to "Test" the movie. I tried compiling via my automation system that uses a JSFL script to publish using the "Debug" profile in my FLA fila, which has the "enable debugging" setting checked in the publish settings. Basicaly, I've done everything I know how to make absolutely sure debugging info is embedded in the published SWF; nothing different than I have always done. The browser is displaying the version string embedded in my movie, so I'm sure the most recent, up-to-the-second copy is present on my web server and being loaded into my browser. It was working, hitting breakpoints, and now, suddenly, for no apparent reason, it's not. It's still connecting and tracing output... just not hitting breakpoints anymore.

What could possibly cause this? I've tried restarting the computer, I upgraded to the latest FlashDevelop version. I updated Java. Nothing; same behavior. Very frustrating.

System Info:
navigator.userAgent from IE: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/2; rv:11.0).
Problem started with FlashDevelop 4.4.2 (was working for a long time), and persists after installing 4.6.1.30.
Java version is 7 update 55, with no out-of-date versions detected according to: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Based on some other suggestions, the msvcr71.dll is present in my SysWow64 directory, so that's not the problem.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm
Admin

What does the Output show exactly when you get only traces but no breakpoints?
Does it work in a new project?

Thu May 08, 2014 7:51 pm
Profile WWW

The debugger output was showing the same thing it always showed.

I enabled verbose mode in the debugger to see if that could tell me anything, but the only change in output was a couple extra lines after "[Starting... with FDB]"
[Starting debug session with FDB]
Worker 1 BreakEvent
[SWF] /apps/myapp.swf - 2,084,100 bytes after decompression.

Anyway, I uninstalled FlashDevelop completely (full uninstall, settings and all), and reinstalled it, and then I started getting the following error in the output window and was unable to start debugging at all:

Debugger startup error. For troubleshooting see: http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/in ... itle=F.A.Q
Error details: System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
at net.sf.jni4net.jni.JNI.Dll.JNI_GetDefaultJavaVMInitArgs(JavaVMInitArgs* args)
at net.sf.jni4net.jni.JNI.Init()
at net.sf.jni4net.jni.JNI.CreateJavaVM(JavaVM& jvm, JNIEnv& env, Boolean attachIfExists, String[] options)
at net.sf.jni4net.Bridge.CreateJVM()
at net.sf.jni4net.Bridge.CreateJVM(BridgeSetup setup)
at FlashDebugger.DebuggerManager.Start(Boolean alwaysStart)

I was able to resolve that error by going into FlashDevelop's AS3Context and making sure a path to my Flex 4.6.0 SDK was set. After doing that, the debugger launched ok without any errors, but the problem of breakpoints being ignored persisted. Tracing is fine, but breakpoints are ignored no matter what I do. It's been working fine all day, then all of the sudden it just stopped hitting breakpoints.

The debugger output starts with "[Starting debug session with FDB]", followed exclusively by text traced from my application; nothing out of the ordinary.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 pm
Admin

I need to check my version of java... This all sound like a problem wrt java.

At least the exception is about FD trying to load java 64 bits while only java 32 bits will work.
Did you configure java home/arts in your SDK's jvm.config?

Thu May 08, 2014 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I resolved that error by pointing FlashDevelop to the installed Flex SDK; that immediately resolved the 64-bit issue and allowed the debugger to launch again, but it just resumed working as it did before, tracing correctly, but ignoring breakpoints.

I couldn't find the config file anywhere, at least not with a Windows Search of the Flex SDK directory (and subfolders), but it's just very strange that this all started happening suddenly. I didn't update Java or anything. I don't think there was even a Windows Update, although there has been a restart pending for a few days.

It just started ignoring breakpoints in the middle of my work day, and haven't worked since, despite upgrading, reinstalling, reconfiguring, etc. Very strange.

Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 am
Admin

The config file should be in/bin of the SDK.

Did you have a Java update?
Does debug work with a new project?
Can you try doing a standalone FD install (it's a setup option) outside of Program Files?

Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 am
Profile WWW

There was no Java update prior to the error occurring; it just started occurring suddenly between builds.

Since then, I've updated Java and did a clean install of the latest FlashDevelop.
Debug appears to work on a simple test application with a main document class and a breakpoint in the constructor; the breakpoint is hit as expected.

Back in my main project, however, the debugger attaches and traces, but still does not hit breakpoints.

Here is the contents of the jvm.config file, with comment lines removed:

java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7
java.args=-Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
env=
java.class.path=
java.library.path=

I will try a standalone install of FlashDevelop at C:\FlashDevelop

Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Standalone installation has no effect; debugger still does not hit any breakpoints.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm
Admin

Try increasing the allowed RAM in the args from 384 to 512 maybe...

Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 pm
Profile WWW

Another person had the same issue here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/10335896/88409

The post mentions something about it starting when a file was moved. I have moved the project from work to home a couple times, but I don't think that's an issue since it was working fine for most of the day at work. The only odd thing I can think of happening is I accidentally dragged a class from from one folder to another folder (within FlashDevelop) then dragged it back to it's correct folder. Perhaps that triggered FlashDevelop to refresh some path information and lose all the correct paths for the debugging? These are just wild guesses.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I had already tried increasing the ram from 384 to 1024. No effect. Also, FYI, I just copied the project folder to my home computer (has identical folder path), and debugging works fine on my machine on the same SWF. I noticed the breakpoints were gone when I opened the project on my home machine... are those something that's stored in a registry setting or something? Perhaps something regarding the breakpoints has been corrupted on my work machine.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:23 pm
Admin

I remember there was issues reported around project paths - for instance if you opened the project or a file with path "c:\path\to\project.as3proj" instead of "C:\" in uppercase, then the debugger would fail to match the file.

That's why "moving the project" may work as you get FD to reopen the project and this time you may give it a properly cased path and breakpoints are set correctly.

I need to investigate that...

Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Oh BTW, can you see the "Breakpoints" panel?
Do the breakpoint appear correctly and are the paths casing completely right?

Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 pm
Profile WWW

Debugging suddenly started working again on my work computer. I̶t ̶h̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶s̶h̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶T̶h̶u̶r̶s̶d̶a̶y̶.̶ Correction, I now remember that I restarted the computer remotely on Friday, and may not have tried debugging since then. Also, prior to Friday's restart, the computer had not been restarted after the Java memory limit was increased to 1024, so perhaps that had an effect (although I doubt it, because my home machine still has the Xmx384m default), or perhaps there was some third-party or OS-level service that was malfunctioning and may have needed restarted.

The project paths are identical on both machines (and were/are appearing correctly in breakpoints panel), including letter-case, but now that you mention paths, I forgot to mention that debugging wasn't the only thing failing. I also noticed that files updated outside of FlashDevelop (which were open in FlashDevelop) were not asking me if I wanted to update them, as they normally would. I would have to close the file in FlashDevelop then reopen it manually to see the changes. Now that debugging is working again, when I ran my program that updates a timestamp variable in the main AS file, I was surprised to see that FlashDevelop once again started asking me if I wanted to reload the file modified outside of FlashDevelop. I must assume that these two issues are related somehow; it's too much of a coincidence.

Mon May 12, 2014 4:20 pm

And... it's not working again. I noticed the list of breakpoints, the first one's line number was (negative) -1116. I deleted all breakpoints, restarted FlashDevelop, and added the one I wanted. But the breakpoint is still not being hit. I added a new trace statement at that point to make sure the line was running, and it ran, so I have no idea why the breakpoint is not being hit.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next