View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
New Generator.txt syntax 

I am creating new syntax for Generator.txt templates so it would give more freedom for developers. Some people like that syntax
Code:
private function parseLocaleData(keyData:XMLList):void {

}

while some might prefer that
Code:
private function parseLocaleData ( keyData : XMLList ) : void {

}

or maybe some other syntax

So I came up with the following Generator.txt templates language. For example, function generation template would look like this:
Code:
$(modifiers) function $(name)($(arguments))[[:$(type)]] $(CSLB){\n\t[[$(body)]]$(EntryPoint)\n}

In [[ and ]] brackets contain non-mandatory parts, e.g. some functions might not have type and FD should not fail because of that.
Here's a function parameter template
Code:
$(p_name)[[:$(p_type)]][[ = $(p_default_value)]][[$(p_comma) ]]

Again, type, default value and comma are not mandatory components (last parameter does not have comma after that). This template gives you possibility to generate this type of function (or even more crazy):
Code:
public function init(  isAdmin  :  Boolean  , test  :  String  ):void {

}

What I want to ask community is whether you like that kind of syntax or you can suggest a better one?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:44 pm
Admin

Generator.txt definitely was not designed for complex templates.

Suggested syntax seem reasonnable - is it efficient to parse and does it handle future needs (like several args between [[..]])?

Now if the templates file is modified we should rename it like generator2.txt to be sure everybody will get an updated one next time they update FD.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm
Profile WWW

Philippe wrote:
(like several args between [[..]])?

good idea, will have to create a better regexp for that (this is the hardest part). Otherwise all generators are already moved to new syntax (not committed yet). This needs to be thoroughly tested though. When it would be the best time to commit that stuff (beginning of November?)?

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I guess I'm using a newer version because there's no Generator.txt anymore, just a Snippets>as3>generators folder. But when I try to edit any of the FDS files, it says "Access is denied." What do I do?

Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 pm
Admin

Scythe wrote:
I guess I'm using a newer version because there's no Generator.txt anymore, just a Snippets>as3>generators folder. But when I try to edit any of the FDS files, it says "Access is denied." What do I do?

Edit your user copy: from FD, Tools > User Config Files...

Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 pm
Profile WWW

Philippe wrote:
Scythe wrote:

Edit your user copy: from FD, Tools > User Config Files...

Thanks, that worked!

Thu May 14, 2015 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]