View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Functions list window implementation 

Greetings!

I've downloaded Flash Develop 2 beta and see a lot of changes from the previous version!

First of all, it became more stable and there is no more trouble to run it as it was with version 1.1. It's looks very promising and if you'll update it often one day it can become the best AS editor!

As a programmer involved in gaming industry, i've tried a lot of AS editors (UltraEdit, jEdit, SciTE, SEPY, Primal Script and many others) and I'm still looking for the perfect one.

Your one looks very, very good, besides this it uses a small amount of memory when executed and it incorporates some good feutures can't be found in any other one (i like these popup panels which hides when not in use :).

In the future releases i'll suggest to include following things:

- first of all: some kind of a panel wich will display all functions as well as all variables of currently opened document. That was the reason why i've started to use SEPY instead of SciTE which was my favourite one.

- the next thing must be added is a configuration window to set up color palette for the AS. Due to this time (i suppose that) the colors can be changed through scintillaNET.xml file. It will be more attractive to end-user to get something more user friendly then XML :) I'm realize it can be done through a plugin which can be used to dislpay classes structure as well.

- and the last thing, which will help you to attract professional AS programmers to your editor is Projects manager which will produce Flash project file compatible with the Flash one.

All of above is absolutely must be (IMHO) in the today's AS editor.

When it will be done, next step you can think about how to implement CVS to the editor.

Keep up a good job and i wish you good luck!

The Helmsman
Product team leader
MiXTV - subsidiary of Zone4Play Inc
www.mixtv.tv

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:00 pm
Admin

The latest release is Beta 4. Try it out.

About your feature suggestions (B4):

- ActionScript panel lists methods and variables. :)

- I'm not sure about this. It would be a good thing but it would increase size of the application. Maybe a optional plugin would be the solution?

- Project manager implementation has been on our mind but i would be a big effort.
I'm not sure producing real Flash source files is relevant hence there isn't even a solution to edit graphics.

CVS plugin would be cool but not necessary. Tortoise SVN is a great product. :)

Thank you for your comments about the project.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:09 am
Profile WWW

- ActionScript panel lists methods and variables. :)

Indeed? How it works? When i open a document it displays only the document's name and nothing else. What must be done to start show the functions and variables? Any kind of refresh to the opened document. May be i need to open the document usinf file>open inseat of draggin it to editor's window?

Sincerely The Helmsman.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:43 am
Admin

When i open a document it displays only the document's name and nothing else.

It means that you file is not a valid AS2 class.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:43 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
It means that you file is not a valid AS2 class.

Yes, sometimes i use AS v.1.0 when i write the code in order to run it in the older versions of Flash player. :(

Besides this, it shows only the AS2 classes only. The rest of the code, even if it is written with AS2 syntax but not inside the class it doesn't show.

:(

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:58 am
Admin

I'm sorry but FlashDevelop only recognizes strict AS2 classes.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:47 am
Profile WWW

I have to strongly second this request.

Since when does every function need to be in a class? Often there are functions called from the timeline that just don't fit in a class because they are very specific to the movie in question and don't have a lot in common with other functions.

Should we have to make a "FunctionHolderClassForThisMovie" to contain all these functions and call them via the class? That seems a bit silly, unless I missing something?

I recently took all such functions out of my movie and pasted them into a .as file (now loaded into Flash with #import) just so I could edit them with Flash Develop. Imagine my disappointment when I couldn't use a function list to navigate them.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Admin

Well, I understand your disappointment, but ASCompletion was meant from the very beginning to edit AS2 classes only, not a list a functions to be included (that is the AS1 way).

I agree it could be usefull -- I personnaly still write this kind of code sometimes. That however would require some serious work so I can't say it will be done very soon.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]