View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Snippets: Folders and File Types 

:idea: The only thing keeping me from switching to FlashDevelop from SEPY is the ability to organize snippets into folders. I rely heavily on organizing snippets in a folder structure, and would really like to see this ability added in FlashDevelop. One limitation of SEPY is that all snippets MUST be .as extensions, I'd like to be able to define XML, HTML, JS and ActionScript snippets.

I would suggest against snippet types to be available based on the type of document you are editing. For example when I author an ActionScript file, I would likely need to access a JavaScript or HTML snippet, or even XML, since Flash can use them.

Another useful feature of the snippets in SEPY is the ability to define dynamic variables - meaning when you "add" a snippet to your code, a window comes up with all dynamic variables asking you to define your custom values. You can also set "default" values for the pop up window so you are not forced to actually add values but you can just click "OK". Here is how this looks in SEPY:

//you define your snippet in your doc as dynamic by:
var swfName = "@@swfName=[main.swf]@@";

where "main.swf" is the default value.

Thanks for your consideration.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:58 am
Admin

The variable suggestion is interesting and we may add them sometime. It is however not a basic feature, so it probably won't be added very soon.

Quote:
the ability to organize snippets into folders. I rely heavily on organizing snippets in a folder structure, and would really like to see this ability added in FlashDevelop.

Snippets you are meant to be used as quick code shortcuts. What you're asking is something slightly different and it should be implemented as a separate plugin -- maybe someone will want to develop this kind of tool.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:54 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Philippe, just for a clarification - companies like ours depend on code libraries for quick access of "pre-built logic" - and having a way to "browse" your library in terms of snippets and classes would be a great addition. Ther are many IDEs out there, and I feel developers get especially excited about IDEs that do a lot of work for them, eliminate errors or risk, or automate their workflows that ensure consistent development accross team members.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]