View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Split view vertically - Edit/compare multiple files at once 

Purpose/why?
I tend to compare file to file a lot of the time, and only viewing one file at once is a pain for doing said comparison, so I normally end up opening two copies of FlashDevelop, then re-arranging/aligning the programs to view both files at once for comparison.

Pros?
-edit multiple files at once
-compare two or more files at once
( save, re-do, un-do should know that they are different documents, and have separate knowledge of undo history? )

Last edited by Snky on Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 pm

Why do you have to compare files a lot? Is it for looking at differences between two revisions in a version control system?
If you use FlashDevelop together with TortoiseGit / TortoiseSvn, there's a visual merge tool included in Tortoise*
Otherwise, you could use one of the stand-alone visual merge tools (e.g. WinMerge, Beyond Compare).
I can't see very well how would a tool like this fit into FD as a part of it?

PS I can't open your picture link, dropbox website shows an error.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello there,

"Why do you have to compare files a lot?"
I sometimes have very similar classes, and want one to vary slightly, in this situation, I write most of the code out manually to make sure what is necessary in that class is included, and also to exclude certain unnecessary code ( for this reason copy and paste I believe can become confusing/excessive ).

This isn't about comparing revisions, just similar classes/objects, that stem off into different directions.
( for versioning comparisons I've just been using: http://text-compare.com/ )

"I can't see very well how would a tool like this fit into FD as a part of it?"
I think it could potentially speed up some development, other than just my personal requirements, there's so much space in the Flash Develop application that can be consumed and customised further to enhance user experience, or to speed up work flow. As my original post said, this would replace opening two copies of Flash Develop to compare two different classes or objects ( with some similar/duplicated code ).

"PS I can't open your picture link, dropbox website shows an error."
Strange, I clicked the dotted/collapsed link in a few different browsers, seemed fine for me ( logged out of db ). Provided a raw string of the screenshot below?
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/syc9a4s9bv3shyq/fd-multiple-editable-comparable-files.PNG

Thanks for the question, did that make it any clearer, the purpose and power this feature request may provide?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:05 am

The screenshot works now.
I understand the reason why you want this feature.
Maybe in some cases this is the quick (-and-dirty) solution, but copy&pasting a lot of code between "very similar clases, and want one to vary slightly" is not a good software design.
If your classes have a lot in common, the shared functionality should be implemented using inheritance or composition, not copying&pasting (manual or using a visual-compare feature you want).
Basically, good programming practice tries to eliminate duplicate code (which is hard to maintain).

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:37 am

By the way, there is a basic file compare tool included with flash develop, but I don't really know how to make it compare two opened files.
Tools -> General Tools -> Compare Files...

But you can even use other programs like WinMerge

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 am

I don't really want to drag this out but I just wanted to make a couple things clear, I completely disagree that this could be a quick and dirty fix, what I'm doing in the mean time is a slow and dirty fix for what could be something much more awesome. I still personally believe this qualifies as a potential feature, that could be very powerful. Also, I understand inheritance and composition.. I think you're jumping ship a little from just a paragraph of a single use case example I provided on my work ethics, I'm not going to go into more detail into the way I work or why someone might need to write certain parts of classes manually ...over again. ( completely irrelevant to the feature example. )

Thanks for the replies both of you, glad the screenshot works now, IAP I'll check out the compare you mentioned in tools.

Anyway, it's a request, I'm not sure if it'll be looked into or not, I wont complain, thought it would be worth a mention, and something for the team to keep in mind, but I see no issues at all being caused by this request, to any user, only benefits.

Also, I'm aware there is already a horizontal split feature, but it's weak. This topic could enhance that feature, horizontal or verticle split.. but allow two different files to be displayed, and on top of that, potentially both editable.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Snky, I didn't mean to start an argument, I understand there might be some cases, where for some users this feature could be useful. But for the use case you mentioned, I think copy&pasting using a merge tool is not a good solution in general.
Creating a good quality merge tool is quite a complex undertaking, can you explain why are you not satisfied by using an external merge tool (such as WinMerge) and require this to be a feature of FlashDevelop? Is there any commercial, professional IDE (for whatever programming language) which has this kind of feature built-in? I would like to see an example of that. Visual Studio, as far as I know, has an external merge program (configurable command line, can even replace with WinMerge or other tool) which can be used to visually compare files.
I'm sure a simple UI or maybe even a Macro to launch an external diff/merge tool of your choice could be added to FlashDevelop with very little effort, rather than reinventing the wheel.
I don't have a problem with your request for a new feature itself, if the developers want to implement it - godspeed! Question is, are there enough FD users who need it?
So I hope other users will comment here with their yes/no votes.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:42 am

From time to time, I do want the convenience of comparing files that are opened right in front of me in FlashDevelop, instead of leaving FD and start tracking these files and opening them in a different program. It could be useful when comparing the backuped files that FD saves when it crash.
But sure, most of the times, WinMerge and Tortoise compare are the tools to use, so for me it really is a convenience and I don't mind it not to be developed, if it will take to much effort to accomplish. :)

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 am

How about if there was a menu item / shortcut that would show a list of open documents, then launch a merge tool of choice to compare them? Selecting one document in that list would compare it with the currently active document, and selecting two documents would compare those? Would that be enough convenient?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:31 am

This could be generalized like this:
To have the option to add a context menu item to the files in the Project panel, the Files panel or a file tab that allow executing an external program, with the option to add as a parameter the selected file and the currently opened file.
This way, it could be customized to launch WinMerge, or Everything or Batch files or ahk files or any other program or script.

What do you think?
Maybe it could be achieved with plugin or with a macro script?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 am

IAP wrote:
This could be generalized like this:
To have the option to add a context menu item to the files in the Project panel, the Files panel or a file tab that allow executing an external program, with the option to add as a parameter the selected file and the currently opened file.
This way, it could be customized to launch WinMerge, or Everything or Batch files or ahk files or any other program or script.

What do you think?
Maybe it could be achieved with plugin or with a macro script?

Now that's a good question to ask Philippe!

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:51 pm
Admin

I think this should be a plugin or a script. :)

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]