View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
FlashDevelop Source Control plugin 

Philippe wrote:
I'll look into these git-related issues - I'm not (yet) a heavy user of this VC.

Okay, maybe I should take a look at svn instead then..

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:22 pm

If you like Git, look into Mercurial. It's another Distributed Source Control solution, easier to use and understand, but not as flexible or powerful as Git. I personally prefer it over SVN after trying it out for a few days (and I have used SVN for a long time).

Mercurial isn't yet supported by this plugin, but it should be a matter of time until it is.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Am unsure what to use, to be honest! This is all pretty new to me and I'm not sure which is the best solution for my colleagues and I.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:04 am

Let me put it this way, if you're a bunch of programmers working independently (through the web), using a distributed model like Mercurial and Git is the best way to go (because everyone contains the entire code base and history, so if the server goes down you can still get work done).

If you're a few programmers with lots of artists, then you should use SVN because Mercurial and Git would keep all versions of changed binary files (images, sounds), which can get very big on your harddrive.

There are lots of free project hosting websites for SVN, and a few for Git and Mercurial.

There's GitHub for Git (super popular these days).
There's Kiln for Mercurial (new service, but has lots of promise).

And for SVN there's tons, but the most popular ones are probably Source Forge, and Google Code.
PS: Google Code has started providing Mercurial hosting as well.

As for which distributed model to use, Mercurial or Git... it's really up to you. They both work kinda the same way, but Mercurial is simpler (and less customizable), and more similar to SVN in the way it works. And if you have a webserver, setting up Mercurial to work on it is very simple, since the program contains a web client built in (why I prefer it over Git). Check the link to get some great intro information for it: http://hginit.com/top/index.html

PM me for more detailed information if you have more questions. I hope this helps.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

This plugin appears to break the f2 "rename" shortcut in the project manager.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:41 am
Profile WWW

CrazySam wrote:
Let me put it this way, if you're a bunch of programmers working independently (through the web), using a distributed model like Mercurial and Git is the best way to go (because everyone contains the entire code base and history, so if the server goes down you can still get work done).

If you're a few programmers with lots of artists, then you should use SVN because Mercurial and Git would keep all versions of changed binary files (images, sounds), which can get very big on your harddrive.

There are lots of free project hosting websites for SVN, and a few for Git and Mercurial.

There's GitHub for Git (super popular these days).
There's Kiln for Mercurial (new service, but has lots of promise).

And for SVN there's tons, but the most popular ones are probably Source Forge, and Google Code.
PS: Google Code has started providing Mercurial hosting as well.

As for which distributed model to use, Mercurial or Git... it's really up to you. They both work kinda the same way, but Mercurial is simpler (and less customizable), and more similar to SVN in the way it works. And if you have a webserver, setting up Mercurial to work on it is very simple, since the program contains a web client built in (why I prefer it over Git). Check the link to get some great intro information for it: http://hginit.com/top/index.html

PM me for more detailed information if you have more questions. I hope this helps.

I went for SVN in the end, just getting to grips with it before I unleash it on the rest of the team.

Is there any plan to extend the functionality of this plugin? Couple of things I'd like to see:

- Options to add more SVN commands to the right-click context menu (a la TortoiseSVN)
- SVN Context menu in the 'Files' panel - I use this a lot.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 am
Admin

Commands can not be extended at the moment - it was meant as a basic integration. I'm not opposed to this idea.

It may be extended in the future to the Files panel (but I don't use it a lot).

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

I definitely vote +1 for an integration with TortoiseHg in a future version of this so desired plugin !!
Great great work again, guys :)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi I recently installed this plug in. But it makes ascompletion and flexformatter works incorrectly.
It fully disables the flex formatter. And it randomly remove the hint window of the ascompletion.
Is that something to do with the refresh mechanism in this plugin?

Currently, I remove this plug-in to enable autocompletion. I'm look forward to a bug-fixed version of source control plug-in.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:50 pm
Admin

springgod, try updating FlashDevelop to latest release - it should be compatible. If not, then there must be a problem in your FD installation.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm
Profile WWW

Philipe, I don't know if you change something in the plugin (or FD Plugin architecture) recently, but in SVN version, the plugin sometimes doesn't work, and I have to restart FD. By doesn't work, I mean I didn't get the shell menu for Subversion, I didn't get the overlay Icon.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 am
Admin

aaulia if the plugin sometimes does not work then look if errors are logged in the 'Exceptions.log' file in your FD user files.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 am
Profile WWW

Plugin doesn't work for me. I have no shell menu for Subversion. I have clean install of latest FD build and SVN pluguin. I'm using TortoiseSVN latest version too.
I have no 'Exceptions.log' in FD folder, i tried both x32 and x64 TortoiseSVN versions, TortoiseProc.exe runs from Command Line, ...

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:04 am
Admin

If you're running from SVN then you may need to properly configure the command line SVN client in the plugin settings - the download from my website includes SilkSVN.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Hi,

Thank you for this feature.
But up until now I can't get it to work.

I have the latest Flashdevelop, the latest tortoise SVN, I have set the paths in the settings and set "enable" to True.

I have rebooted my OS, and still not working while it is working on my explorer.
When I try Shell menu from the Flashdevelop UI, thow, I can't see the Tortoise menu.

Anybody has any Idea what the pb might be?
Thank you.

EDIT:
I am using Win7 and I guess I got my answer here:
http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6061&p=28317&hilit=tortoise#p28317

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next