View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
FlashBuild Plugin Releases [1.0 Beta 1] 

No, you haven't done anything wrong. I am going to fix this error. I am currently working on a tighter integration with Project Explorer so the FlashBuild file can be created automatically. For now, you can save the file as FlashBuild.xml in the same directory as where the Project Explorer file is.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I will release 0.7.5 by the end of this week to address some issues.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Okay, I figured out part of my problem. I was expecting FlashBuild to auto generate the FlashBuild.xml because the 0.7.1 release didn't have an .xml file in with it so I didn't know the syntax.

I eventually downloaded 0.5 and found a FlashBuild.xml file and was able to figure out how to format it. Since 0.7.1 didn't include that file I was totally lost for a while.

You do know that if you try to run a build without an XML file or with an empty xml file that it crashes FlashDevelop hard, right?

Anyway, sorry for my confusion. I'll be exploring this some more now that I've got my bearings. I look forward to the next release.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:26 pm

You are right. Currently I have not built any error handling in Flashbuild, assuming the data is all cool and good.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I have updated the plugin to FlashBuild 0.8 to address some issues reported above. Thanks for the feedback.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Admin

- UseMXClasses actualy means: ignore mx.* classes,
- forget that MSVCMode option,
- why is testMovie empty - should be: testMovie="False"?
- why not set FlashOut as the default trace method?
- maybe <preProcess> and <postProcess> should just be the same <run> action?
- can there be several "ClassFile" entries?
- if you can, prefill "ClassFile", "OutputFile" from the project,
- can there be no "InputFile"?
- I didn't get the "FlashViewer" thing,

- could you add a program setting to enable/disable the dialog asking to create a FlashBuild.xml file?

- the default XML shouldn't be that complex - it's clear that you can repeat commands so it should be as simple as possible to understand immediately the XML,
- please indent the file consistently ;)
- can you use (create if not exist) a template FlashBuild.xml from <FD>\settings\plugindata

Suggestion for default FlashBuild.xml:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
   You should save this file as FlashBuild.xml in the root of your ActionScript project
   so when an actionscript is edited, this FlashBuild.xml file will be found.
   -->
<flashBuild>
   <!--
      Class pathes for the project.  Please specify all the pathes using its full path.
      You may specify one or more paths.
      -->
   <classPaths>
      <classPath>C:\...\flash\as</classPath>
   </classPaths>
   <!--
      On FlashBuild can host from one to many build profiles, with the first
      build profile as default.

testMovie is an optional attribute, which enables Flash to be launched upon
      the completion of compilation

The movie can either be an SWF file, or a FlashViewer file should more
      parameters be specified.
      -->
   <build name="Default Build" testMovie="True">
      <!--
         Default MTASC settings for compilation, all movies in this build will
         inherit the default settings.  Each individual setting is override-able.
         -->
      <default>
         <setting key="UseMXClasses">True</setting>
         <setting key="ExportPlayer">7</setting>
         <setting key="TraceFunction">org.flashdevelop.utils.FlashOut.trace</setting>
      </default>
      <!--
         Commands to run before each build
         -->
      <run>@echo Build Started</run>
      <!--
         Each build profile may have one or more build items.
         Resources here are better to be specified as relative paths from the build file.
         Otherwise you may run into some weird MTASC errors.
         -->
      <mtasc>
         <setting key="ClassFile">foo\bar\MyScript.as</setting>
         <setting key="InputFile">in\myFlash.swf</setting>
         <setting key="OutputFile">out\myNewFlash.swf</setting>
         <setting key="ExportFrame">1</setting>
         <setting key="ExcludeFile"></setting>
         <!--
            If MovieUseInputFileSetting is set to True, all the parameters
            prefixed with Movie would be ignored
            -->
         <setting key="MovieUseInputFileSetting">True</setting>
         <setting key="MovieFps">30</setting>
         <setting key="MovieBgColor">#FFFFFF</setting>
         <setting key="MovieWidth">500</setting>
         <setting key="MovieHeight">300</setting>
         <setting key="MainStart">True</setting>
         <setting key="KeepClasses">False</setting>
         <setting key="Separate">False</setting>
         <setting key="VerboseMode">False</setting>
         <setting key="StrictMode">False</setting>
         <setting key="MergeClasses">False</setting>
         <setting key="PackClasses"></setting>
         <setting key="Infer"></setting>
         <setting key="Additional"></setting>
      </mtasc>
      <!--
         Commands to run after each process
         Only one instance is supported
         -->
      <run>@echo Build Done</run>
   </build>
</flashBuild>

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW

I was thinking may you (philippe) can make some kind of channel to the Project plugin, to save extra information by other plugins, and get project information.
If someone make a plugin that want to do something with teh project, it needs to be easy and fluent, this gives place for much less errors and bugs.

The flashBuild plugin looks like an alternative Project Manager, or is it? If I want to use it, I shouldn't use the project managment for managing projects?

I'm talking specificly about writing information like class paths and things like that to flash build...

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:48 pm

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Admin

I was thinking may you (philippe) can make some kind of channel to the Project plugin, to save extra information by other plugins, and get project information.
If someone make a plugin that want to do something with teh project, it needs to be easy and fluent, this gives place for much less errors and bugs.

The flashBuild plugin looks like an alternative Project Manager, or is it? If I want to use it, I shouldn't use the project managment for managing projects?

I'm talking specificly about writing information like class paths and things like that to flash build...

The Project manager is Nick's plugin, but AFAIK he added a way to expose some (most?) information about the project to other plugins.

I wouldn't say that it's an alternative to the Project manager: it's complementary. FlashBuild allows you to define complex building strategies which can ignore or include the building features of the Project manager. And it's nice if the default information can be filled from the Project settings.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:16 pm
Profile WWW

You have a good point. I think I could have a little explanation here,

FlashBuild was created before FlashDevelop ProjectExplorer (FDP), with FDP working well and as a standard plugin for FD, I feel safe to gradually rewrite FlashBuild as a complement to FDP. As part of the process, things like classpaths configuration become legacies and will eventually become obsolete.

FlashBuild is created to allow batch movie compiles and possibly more. I am working on the options that you can specify if you want to use FlashIDE, Flex or MTASC to compile.

IAP wrote:

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW

things like classpaths configuration become legacies and will eventually become obsolete
I don't think I understand this.

Actually I'm still having problems understanding the big picture, maybe because I didn't have the need to use it by now...
In my new work, the core development guys want a way to batch compile and build all the Flash projects in the main repository by a command, is this the answer for that?

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:57 pm

Nice work, tangent! The autocreation of the flashbuild.xml is cool. I'm having two issues:

1. The Build menu uses CtrlShiftP, but FlashDevelop already has that mapped to Print Preview. Where can I change the hotkey for FlashBuild? Is it adding the the Build menu at runtime (I don't see it in MainMenu.xml).

2. I always get an error window after a build:

Error while reading the file:

The error log shows this:

System.ArgumentException: Empty path name is not legal.
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at FlashDevelop.Utilities.FileSystem.GetFileCodepage(String file)

Thu May 04, 2006 2:00 am
Profile WWW

I can't get it working at all, first when I press the build button and get an error I can't press it again so I have to restart FD if I make a mistake in the buildfile.

Also, it's pretty tedious having to specify so many xml nodes just to specify switches for MTASC, would it be possible to have project-wide settings and then simply override them per <mtasc> node?

Thu May 04, 2006 7:57 am

I have been under the weather and I apologize for getting back soon. Thanks for trying out the latest release of FlashBuild 0.8. Robert and Evl, is it possible that I can get a copy of your FlashBuild.xml so I can quickly find out what could have caused the error?

Fri May 05, 2006 1:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I have been under the weather and I apologize for getting back soon. Thanks for trying out the latest release of FlashBuild 0.8. Robert and Evl, is it possible that I can get a copy of your FlashBuild.xml so I can quickly find out what could have caused the error?

I'm working on a different machine now and am not getting that error. However, the FlashBuild buttons are being disabled after one click, so I have to restart FD in order to use it again. Please, please, remove any code that would disable the panel. This was a showstopper a few months ago, but it has popped up again.

Thu May 25, 2006 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next