View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Update file references on move 

I have a large project and I want to reorganize the file structure, but my experience with moving files with FlashDevelop isn't really that great.

I use Flex 4.14.1 and Parsley 3.0, I have each view family (HomeModel, HomeView, HomeController, HomeCommand, HomeEvent, HomeContext) in the same folder, there are maybe 60 folders, in essence I want to move all of the files to their own section (all models in model, all views in view, all controllers in controller, etc etc.Now I know this is going to go well at all.

What advice can you give me as a former Flash Builder user who has sadly rather relied on this feature, any tools I can download?

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:36 pm
Admin

Which version of FD you use? Do you use version control?

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

Version that was posted on Sunday, no version control. I have tried moving files I'm previous versions and it has taken hours to update the references manually, I can't afford to do that with over 3000 files :(

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 pm

We'd need more details of the exact problems found. Also, I think you're working with Flex projects, aren't you? So... maybe you are expecting references to be updated on MXML files? that doesn't work too well.

EDIT: Also, was your experience with FD 4.7/5? because on previous versions there were many problems, and it was then improved. I agree it's slow, I thought of another method of making it work faster and with a few errors in the past, but have got no time for it at all.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:27 pm

This is actually a new FlashDevelop project with my files imported in, but yes I would be expecting mxml files to be updated. If I move everything to its expected folder then I would be expecting all file references, event references and such to be updated, so I guess I am going to have to find a really good find and replace tool and globally update all the paths, thank you for setting my expectations though, good to know it won't go well before I do it because afterwards it just leaves swear words everywhere :)

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Well, to be more precise, code like imports, event handlers and the like in MXML files should be updated (I can't tell about inlined components and event handlers, haven't tested it, but there are higher chances for it to work on my modified MXML version), but classes, properties or metadata references used in the "XML part" won't be.

I'd like to look into it sometime in the future, but it's not about my highest priority at this moment.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Sorry it's taken a while to reply but got tied up doing something totally unrelated. I am going to download your modified version and give it a try, but sadly (sarcastic) the project has finally been dropped in favor of a total rewrite in actionscript, it got me a 3 month lead and 2 extra devs on the team so I am happy. Plus it will stop me posting quite so many questions in here, I know the focus isn't really on using MXML for development.

So thank you for your advice, across multiple posts, I appreciate it.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]