View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
[FD3] [FD4] Trace plugin - trace() generator 

Wow!!! That's cool. I'm in love with this plugin now :D

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 pm

My favorite plugin, thanks a lot for it!

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm

It was my favorite plugin also... until they ruined it all by making super good debugger...

oh well.. :)

thanks for compile to FD4.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

how to use this plugin??

I've already installed it, but i didn't find any log file... or output of trace() function

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 am

What is the instruction for this plugin?
The webpage link is not working.
Thanks.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 am

Just move the cursor over a variable and hit ctrl+0

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 am

Simple and useful, thanks for this great little plug-in! :D

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

The Trace plugin is mostly broken in FD 4.5.2.5.

'Trace Simple' doesn't work.
'Trace For...in' works
'Trace Alternate Simple' doesn't work
'Trace Alternate For...in' doesn't work.

'Trace Simple' and 'Trace Alternate Simple' default to keyboard shortcuts that are being used by FD. Changing these shortcuts doesn't solve the problem.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 pm

It works for me, if I go to Tools -> keyboard shortcuts and change the default new document shortcut (ctrl+D0) to something else.
Because this is an old plugin, it isn't connected to the relatively new keyboard shortcuts screen.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks IAP. That fixed it.

For anyone else who runs into this problem: Going into Tools > Settings > Trace and changing any of the Shortcuts won't work anymore.

Instead, go to Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts, type 'newmenu' to filter the commands, select 'NewMenu.AS2Document' and either press Delete or assign it to a different shortcut. Do the same for 'NewMenu.TextDocument' if you're using a custom logger.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Plugin does not seem to work...

replacing shortcuts, or clearing FD default once does not help. :(

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile WWW

Would be really great if the generated code templates would be customizable.
This makes me think FlashDevelop would really benefit if the snippets were made more extensible, to be able to create more useful templates that can use the word under cursor or the current selection as input to the template.
Even better thing would be integrating a full-featured macro system using whatever common macro scripting language, allowing to create this kind of feature as a simple macro, without the need for any extra plug-ins. I'm sure much less people would write their own plug-in, much more people would write their own macros/scripts, sharing them on this forum and making all kinds of nice new features.

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 pm
Admin

heilong wrote:
Would be really great if the generated code templates would be customizable.
This makes me think FlashDevelop would really benefit if the snippets were made more extensible, to be able to create more useful templates that can use the word under cursor or the current selection as input to the template.
Even better thing would be integrating a full-featured macro system using whatever common macro scripting language, allowing to create this kind of feature as a simple macro, without the need for any extra plug-ins. I'm sure much less people would write their own plug-in, much more people would write their own macros/scripts, sharing them on this forum and making all kinds of nice new features.

There are templates/snippets for almost everything in FD:
- edit snippets dialog can be open from main menu (puzzle piece button),
- go Tools > User Application Files... then navigate in /Snippets where you'll find the generators templates (code generation) as well.

There is a C# macro system (but the code editor is complicated to control):
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5846

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:58 pm
Profile WWW

Philippe, thanks for your answer. I saw the snippets, is there any reference to the variables that can be used in those templates? And do you think snippets are functional enough to create the equivalent of this trace() plug-in?
I've read the post about macros, it looks like to be able to make macros one has to be a C# programmer. While I used to program in C++ 10 years ago, and I bet I could learn C# rather quickly, that's not as small of a task as figuring out some simple interpreted macro language often used to extend applications. Second important think is good documentation, or API reference. For a guy who is not a C# programmer, and never checked the inside of FlashDevelop's source code, how long will it take to dig around in many different places until I figure out how to write my first meaningful macro? For sure, a C# macro system provides a lot of power and one can do great things with it, however it's not quick or easy to get into that, I bet. As an example, take something like AutoHotkey. The language is quite simple, and while I don't quite like it, just by checking out a few examples I figured out most of what I need. Then to make a script I need, mostly what I need is the docs, the API reference is quite complete and comes with examples. Other than that, checking out the community forum for other user's macros and scripts, and it doesn't take long to writing quite powerful scripts, within this app's domain of course. I think what's important is that a scripting/macro system like that provides a limited subset of the app's internals in it's well-documented API, which allows the script/macro writer to quickly find information he/she needs to solve some particular task, without having to learn deeply about how the app's code itself is written.
I think at the end of the day, how nice is macro system can be demonstrated in how quickly and simply can a quick and simple task be created. Like a "hello world" program that is just one or two lines in some language, but if you're making a hello world windows app in some low-level language, it will take quite a few screens of code to set everything up and display a simple text. So how many lines of macro code would be to make a macro that takes the identifier under cursor, and inserts 'trace("{ID}=" + {ID});' as the next line?
Don't get this as criticism, I'm sure the current snippets and macros are quite functional and powerful. However, they have been around for quite a long time, and I don't see hundreds of useful snippets/macros overflowing the community forum, which means they are either not powerful enough, too complicated, or not well documented for an average developer to start playing with. I spend quite a lot of time in FlashDevelop, and for sure sometimes I have some idea about how something can be improved, however I don't have inclination to spend time to study C# and FlashDevelop plug-in API, then start writing and debugging my own plug-ins. If there is a good API reference on how to make snippets/macros, I would surely like to play with them. Personally I think FlashDevelop would really benefit if there's such a system and good docs for it, many developers would create and contribute nice scripts and macros, ideas for them etc., which otherwise they would avoid doing because they are AS3 programmers, not C# programmers. In other words, for every 1 guy who might write a plug-in, there are 100 guys who might write a script/macro in an interpreted language which allows to rapidly prototype and test the script without having some invalid exception and the whole app crashing (I just assume this would be the case in C# macros?) in case there is a bug.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:00 pm
Admin

You're right, there's a bit of a learning curve for C# macros, but I believe it's easier than it looks. Especially using the snippet editor or VS you get good code hinting.

I added another example of C# macro to do the trace you're asking:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5846&p=54174#p54174

That said you could all that using macro commands:
http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/in ... tle=Macros

Code:
ScintillaCommand|Copy
ScintillaCommand|LineEnd
ScintillaCommand|NewLine
InsertSnippet|trace

You would create a 'trace' snippet which would use the copied text using the '$(Clipboard)' argument:
http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/in ... =Arguments
Code:
trace("$(Clipboard) = " + $(Clipboard));

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next