View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
solution to increasing or larger-than-expected APK file size 

This caused some frustration earlier today and thought it was worth sharing with the community. I use FlashDevelop 5.0.2.2 in Windows 7, 64-bit.

I found the size of an APK build had increased several mb with no apparent cause vs. previous builds. The SWF file itself was no different in size, so after some digging (which included the realization you can simply rename .APK to .ZIP and open them to see the contents.. at least in WinRAR if not everything), the cause was obvious:

An APK will contain ALL the SWF files in the /bin folder! You have to delete all but the SWF you want in the APK, before running the batch file. I went from ~8mb APK down to ~2mb. Beautiful! I have all my Flash Player, Flash Preloader, AIR and Android projects merged (right-click, "build all" is great!).. so perhaps not typical use case.. but for anyone else experiencing the same issue, I hope this has been helpful :).

Adam

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:00 pm
Admin

Yes the APK by default includes everything in /bin. This is how you package assets in your APK.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

adamgolden wrote:
An APK will contain ALL the SWF files in the /bin folder!

It applies not just to SWF files, everything in /bin gets packaged, this way you can put whatever art, config files etc. your app needs.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]