View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Module .swf's - like Flex Builder, how to specify/compile 

I am not all that familiar with FD3 yet, or any FD for that mater.

So, can someone point to a doc that examples how to specify a module and (hopefylly) compile it as optimized to the main application. Simply compiling a "class" into a separate .swf as a small part in a larger project, would be a good start for me.

Thank you,

greg

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:38 am
Admin

I don't know a tutorial about that but the idea is to:
- create a FD project for the main app and each module (note: you can duplicate the project file and have several projects in the same location),
- use additional compiler arguments for optimization (-link-report in your main project to produce the XML exclusion file to be referenced as -load-extern in the modules).

This is basically what Flex Builder does "automatically" but FD has nothing automated in this regard.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:34 am
Profile WWW

Hummm...

Thank you. Sounds like somthing I can do. Is that a possible "plug-in" ??

But right now, I can not find a build optopn to "clean" my project and remake tha HTML wrapper, copy asssets to the test dir, etc. and then run the test in the browser (new tab) via the HTML. I am finding my use of FB3 getting in the way. LOL

Thanks,

greg

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:30 pm
Admin

Module optimizations is a future feature, but we have still a few things to do before that.

FD doesn't have the concept of project cleaning, html wrapper remaking and assets copying.

FD (non-empty) projects templates come with a ready to use structure, including a unique output dir where you can tweak the html wrapper and place manually runtime assets.

By default, FD will run the SWF using the standalone content debugger (which can be downloaded here and associated with SWF filetypes).

But you can configure your project to run the html page from the output dir:
- in the project properties,
- change Test movie mode to "Open Document..."
- click on <Edit> and enter the path (relative to project root) to the html page: ie. bin\index.html

Now when your press F5 (or Ctrl+Enter) it will build the project and run the html page instead of the SWF directly.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you so much.
Good and detailed answers to all of my questions; a big help.

You will surely be pestered with more questions as I unwrap form FB3 and get deeper into FD3.

Thanks again...

greg

Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:29 pm

@Philippe
"...- create a FD project for the main app and each module (note: you can duplicate the project file and have several projects in the same location),
- use additional compiler arguments for optimization (-link-report in your main project to produce the XML exclusion file to be referenced as -load-extern in the modules). ..."

Thanks. Works like a charm.
Exactly:
Main: -link-report obj/exclude.xml
Module: -load-externs=obj/exclude.xml

Thanks again.

greg

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Any updates on this? Is there any automated way of compiling a bunch of modules? I have a project I'm migrating over with 10+ modules, I'd hate to have to load a dozen different projects just to compile the whole thing. Should I look into using Ant to compile it or is there an easier way?

thanks!

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 am
Admin

No update on this - might be a job for ANT in your case.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:28 pm
Profile WWW

Two years later on a Christmas evening, I'm studying Modules http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/mx/modules/ModuleManager.html for my project https://github.com/sfxworks/public-desktop. In the future I want to make tutorial videos so that other users can make plugins for my project easily. Any word on module functionality for FD? I want to use my favorite IDE to make them!

Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:33 am
Admin

sfxworks wrote:
Two years later on a Christmas evening, I'm studying Modules http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/mx/modules/ModuleManager.html for my project https://github.com/sfxworks/public-desktop. In the future I want to make tutorial videos so that other users can make plugins for my project easily. Any word on module functionality for FD? I want to use my favorite IDE to make them!

This requires to use the right compiler options - like `link-report` and `load-externs`, and RSL techniques. Sadly I can't help much more.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]