View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
issue with flash player 

it is years I use FD, but since a while now, there is a little issue that is bothering me a lot, that is, FD is not able to close the player anymore once the debug is stopped.
Once the debugging terminates it detaches from the player, but I remember that the previous versions were able to close the player instead. I'd rather use the latter behavior.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 pm
Admin

FD never closed the FP - except for AIR apps.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:02 pm
Profile WWW

although I remember that with the previous version of FD, once I stopped debugging the player used to close. Maybe I am wrong, but the problems now, which I was not experiencing before, are different depending what I am doing.

If I work in haxe, targeting flash and I run a game using the debugger and I stop debugging, I am forced to close manually the player otherwise I cannot start again to debug because I get a "A process is currently running." If I forget to close the player, I need to restart FD.

if I use actionscript, sometime it is even worse: it happens than if I get some early exceptions, sometime the flash player window does not even appear! I then need to use the task manager to shut it down, otherwise the compiler says that it cannot create the swf file because it is used by another process.

You may find it exaggerated, but during an intensive session of debugging, these issues slow my worflow down a lot.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey dude,

The whole routine of having to go through task manager and such is a massive pain in the ass, but not one that is FD's fault (you'll notice you may have it when browsing poorly built swf's on the web and such).

A dude I used to work with sent me this VBScript once, and now I can't live without it. It simply kills the flash process:

Code:
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'plugin-container.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
objProcess.Terminate()
Next

The code above will kill the flash plugin for firefox. In order to kill the flash player, look in your task manager and see what it is called (it should be called FlashPlayerDebugger.exe).

So simply copy the script above, paste it into a blank text document and save it as flash-killer.vbs

Then, in order to make it accessible and quick to use - Find the file and drag it onto your start bar (and then pin it to the start bar).

Now whenever your flash crashes, just hit the windows key on your keyboard and run flash killer! It'll stop all the crashed applications instantly!

Enjoy amigo!

Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]