View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Actionscript future 
I have a simple question: Will ActionScript exist in a non Flash existing world?
I want somo opinions on this.

I googled and googled and couldn't find an answer.

Ok adobe is investing on also on HTML5 using is great experience with flash while still developing flash (betting on the winning horse no matter what)

My concern is that I like AS3 e learned it recently and for quick interface development I say bye to C#, Java and C++ long boring coding hours.

But my issue is I also due parallel programmimg and for flash :S Mohehill and shaders like stuff but it no more than that
Also I find no way to use C++ code inside ActionScript

I'm concerned because I was thinking to due some recent work in AS3 but is it worth it for me to see it die meanwhile (or not)

Will it be used as a high level programing language that is compiled to other languages etc ....

Opinions thoughts ?????

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 am

@no.soul I think only Adobe can answer if AS3 will get usage outside of Flash for their product line. I believe someone has made an AS3 command line engine, but I cannot find the link for it. (My Google-Fu must be off this morning.)

As for C++, you can use it with Flash. Check out the "Alchemy" project on Adobe labs. It lets you create a SWC with cross-compiled C++ functions. It's a little weird learning to make calls from AS3 to C++ or vice-versa, but it can be done.

I wouldn't be surprised if native Parallel programming concepts are added to either Adobe's API or AS3 itself, but it's a hard enough nut to crack that I believe it will take some time. Thank goodness we can get some parallelism today running computational shaders on the GPU.

If you really want good Parallel coding; stick with C#. It's been the most straight forward language I've used for parallel programming. If you truly want to be able to target any device though, stick with C++. It's parallel, it's proven, and it's everywhere.

Speaking as someone who has done 10+ years in C++ and many in C#, I'm sticking with AS3 / Flash when I can. It's just too awesome how quickly I can get something visual up. I am keeping my eyes on Javascript though. ;)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]