View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Split screen 

I like FD3 a lot, but it's lacking a feature that I find very useful in visual studio...

I have a 24 inch monitor at home, with a 1920x1200 resolution and with a setting like that when I'm coding the code only fits on one half of the page. The other half of my screen is just empty white space...

That's why I thought it'd be really cool if you could add a screen splitting feature ! Maybe this isn't the best name for it, but what I want is to be able to drag a second pane in FD3 where I can see another part of my code (be it the same .as file or another one). Again, Visual Studio has this feature and it's really nice and useful. Visual Studio, however, only lets you add a pane on the top or bottom of the screen, and seeing how pretty much all monitors nowadays are 16:9 or 16:10, it'd be cool to drag a pane on the side as well, not just on the top or bottom.

Even better, if we could have more than just 2 panes it'd be incredible. The firefox extension "Split Browser" lets you drag an infinite amount of panes, if you need an example of what I mean.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 pm
Admin

It is not possible to split one document (Scintilla control limitation) but if you have 2 documents you can dock them side by side (drag a document tab and you should see hints to dock it left or right the other doc).

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:56 am
Profile WWW

Not sure ur preference of this but...
as a little hack, u could just Make a new doc, [select all > copy, paste] code form the class u are editing into this new class, and then drag the little tab at the top and have the 2 files side by side, and then every so often, u can just do a select [all > copy], [select all > paste] to update the temp file.

or do what I do... I too have a 24in 1920x1200, one here and one at work, the work one I turn Vertically, its SOOOOOO nice to see loads of lines of code at once with no scrolls... it might make it easier for u :D.....

yes its a little weird but thankfully I have a 5:4 19" monitor in "normal" view, so it gets the best of both worlds.

also, if u do turn it vertically, and you deal with massive projects like I end up doing, you can pin the "Project" / "Output" & "Outline" all at the same time.. FAR FAR quicker..

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Admin

@WORMSS - you can also directly Duplicate a tab (as a new doc).

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:21 am
Profile WWW

I'd like to see this feature too please!

It's something I had suggested to Adobe many many years ago when code was still on the timeline and you'd declare your variables at the top of the code screen and needed to be able to see what you've declared quickly.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:05 pm

You can try this plugin, but it's not stable:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6865

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

or just open 2 instances of FlashDevelop, and put them side by side.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:59 pm
Profile WWW

Split view is already available (by the View menu), the question is about any keyboard shortcut for jumping between those two views. Like ctrl+tab for switching tabs. Or maybe not the shortcut since it's not clear what it should be, but for sure ability to set one for this action (using Tools -> Keyboard shortcuts).

Btw, the new split view could start showing the area that was viewed before, not jump to beginning of file.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]