View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
OSX Version 

Flash magazine said the forum has gone quiet. I am on flash builder OS X but FD is way better. If I had FD on Mac I would pay money for it! Like to know if anyone else feels the same.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:33 pm
Admin

We are looking into a crossplatform version but we have not decided anything yet. :)

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:37 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Mika

Awesome job by the way! What I have noticed is that many tutorials and presentations and seeing more and more flash coders running osx. Build it and we will come! And we will pay cash esse!

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm also switching to Mac OS soon (I hope my MacBook Pro arrives tommorrow!) and recently I gave FlashBuilder 4 beta a try (on Windows) to see if it would meet my needs. For Flex-projects it probably is the best way to go since you have the visual design mode as well, but for ActionScript + FlashIDE workflow like I usually do, FD still beats FB4.

And even for pure Actionscript projects build by the Flex SDK, FD still has a better completion engine. F.i FlashBuilder doesn't recognize properties from the class you're working in unless you use "this". An there are more of these tweaks which still make me vote for FD. So, eventhough virtualisation scares me off a little bit, I've bought Parallells so I can keep using FD.

And by the way, yes this editor is worth paying for, but I doubt this will cover the development efforts...

Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 am

as for cross platform I'm pretty sure Qt would be the way to go.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 am
Profile WWW

In the FAQ it mentions desire of an OSX port and points to this on-going discussion in the forum.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 pm
Profile WWW

The last post seems to be Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:08 pm hence why we need to make the point again. There are people who and I am sure more than a handful that want flashdevelop on mac.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:20 pm

And now its my turn to post here as my company bought me finally the mac i wanted so much.

The problem is that there is no fd for mac and I really prefer to pay for this great editor which helped me a lot in my work and for my education (I learned AS3 by using this editor) than for flex builder or fdt. (eclipse? ECLIPSE? PLS NO NO NOOOOOO......... :shock: )

Anyway 2nd day with my new mac. Everything perfect but still I feel so useless without fd.

Hope to c this great editor in osx and as other ppl already said, there r lot of mac ppl who will support this project.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:42 pm
Admin

You can donate to the project always. At the moment we do not have the time to do it but i have been evaluating the possibilities (Mono, Qt, Qyoto and GTK#). This is an area where we definitely need help from other devs.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

In the meantime, remember that it is possible to use FlashDevelop when using a virtual machine, like Parallels or VMBox ;)

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:39 pm
Profile WWW

... or Windows 7. Just because you have a Mac doesn't mean you need to use OS X :P

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

I have been trying to run FlashDevelop under OSX. In last couple of years, whenever I got sometime, I tried these:-

1) Run FlashDeveloper with DotGNU: FlashDevelop was running but due to a lot of native (Win32) API calls, lots of components were failing (screenshot: http://pic.im/5Xk)

2) Run Flash Developer with Mono: I tried to compile FlashDevelop using MonoDevelop and run using Mono for OSX. Most of the problems is one component/library i.e. DockPanelSuite (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dockpanelsuite/), an opensource code that uses a lot of PInvoke calls (Win32 API).

I am really excited about the possibilities, if we can port this one library we can get very closer to run FlashDevelop on OSX using Mono.

I would keep you guys posted.

Thanks

-abdul
http://abdulqabiz.com/blog/
http://twitter.com/abdulqabiz

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm sure some users will, but I doubt all will care that much. A lot of people might be using these devices a lot of the time for reading epub books and various other tasks where it's irrelevant. I have to think if the absence of Flash were likely to put many people off the iPad, to cause them to buy something else instead, then Apple would have made damn sure it was on there. They're not a wildly successful company because they don't know their markets. They must think the additional attraction Flash would add to the device simply isn't worth the aggro - besides not wanting to give a fillip to a technology that is neither controlled by them nor open.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]