View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Suggestions 

Hello,

I think FlashDevelop 4.xx is a nice tool. I'm also using Eclipse and Visual Studio 2010 Express(C#) so I will compare.
I'm not installing extra Plugins (for good reasons). I use the tools as they come downloaded.

Features that I like very much:
  • Easy settings (much better than Eclipse and bundled in 1 window)
  • Syntax coloring with background colors (must have for modern editors, Eclipse doesn't have it)
  • FD is not as overloaded with trash as Eclipse (please keep it that way, I alsmost think it's already going in that direction)

But I also have something to nag about:
  • Folding with lines - This might look innovative the first time in Notepad++ but it's not good. The very best folding system has Visual Studio 2010. It doesn't care if I open braces on new line or not and I can copy the hidden text very easily
  • Region hiding in FD4 could look better (I have some blank lines that I can't avoid because of Code Formatter)
  • In a previous version of FD it was possible to test my Flash project in a browser. Now it doesn't work for some reason (IE thingy is in the way and I'm not using IE at all). Although I found the settings for that I can't set it up to run my Flash. You could just add an option "Run in standard browser". I'm pretty sure you know how to open a flash file in a browser.
  • I would like to customize the package view / tree view in the "Project" window. I mean change icons and stuff.
  • Oh btw on Windows 7 64x FD closes with an error. Looks like not all processes close properly.
Added 2012-12-25:
  • Syntax Coloring is back-coloring comments 1 char too much: Image: http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/96353323/file.html Not sure if this was intended. But I like the standard ways better: exactly the same length as the comment string or the whole line to infinity.
  • Code Formatter: After formatting folding is opening up again (it's pretty disturbing, Eclipse and Visual Studio handle that well)
  • Console: (FD calls it output) I'd like to have a clean console/output window that is recording ONLY the output I'm making with trace(). It should start recording RIGHT after program start and not show the build output. This is a great thing that makes me like Eclipse. It replaces the use of the debugger for me.
  • Build: When I build the project some random windows I don't want to see are popping up. That's not very user friendly. I customized my perspective to meet my needs. I see Project, Code and Output (when builds with errors opens Results but that's ok, I managed to prevent other windows to open up, not sure how). Please don't open windows that are not visible for the user.
  • Project-Window: Another great thing from Eclipse: when my files compile with errors or warnings the Package Explorer shows them on the packages / folders and files. That can make Results window become dispensable.
Added 2013-01-03:
  • Code Formatter settings: Some items are disabling other items. So when I change one thing and it doesn't show any effect. That can't be right! If it was my project I would clean that up so that each items of settings is independent.
Added 2013-05-21:
  • When auto-formating an *.as file, all the folded methods open up. I have to close them all and then search for the method I was working in.
  • When renaming an identifier. All or some *.as files open and my focus lands in some neverlands. I have to go to each tab to save and close it.
  • I can't rename classes. I have to change the name of the class and then look for every other occurrence of this class to change the reference.
  • Moving classes doesn't work properly. I have to update references manually.
  • Auto-formatting switch and else-if is bugged.

To be clear: I'm not here to annoy but to help to improve. I would love you to improve FD regarding those nag-points. All IDEs have weaknesses. There is no perfect code editor yet.
I would also like to read what other like / don't like in FD.Run in standard browser

Last edited by random.flasher on Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 am

I agree about most of the things (Altho the folding stuff doesn't bother me).

About "In a previous version of FD it was possible to test my Flash project in a browser. Now it doesn't work for some reason" You can just use "open a document" to run the HTML with the flash.

By the way, the standard installation comes very very basic. It is actually very hard for me to work without some of the more essential plygins. FD can be very very rich.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 pm
Admin

It should be possible to test in a browser:
- Project properties > Test Project -> Open Document...
- enter "bin/index.html"

And make sure the browser's Flash plugin is a debug version.

Folding and regions are restricted by the Scintilla editor control (ie. same as in Notepad++).

What's the exact error on close?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm
Profile WWW

On the other Windows 7 64x machine there is no error. I will check the first in the new year again.
I hope you don't mind if I add some improvement suggestions in the top post since you seems to be an active community.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:14 pm
Admin

The windows that are "popping" when you run are the interactive debugger windows - you can disable this behavior in Program Settings > FlashDebugger > Disable Panels auto show.

For the rest, well, FD just isn't Eclipse :)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 pm
Profile WWW

Am I wrong in this forum ?
Or do I understand right that FD developers don't like suggestions for improvement ?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 am
Admin

Of course not, suggestions and contributions are definitely driving FD evolution - however many desirable features either require engineering we can't afford right now (compared to other priorities) or are limited by third party components (like the editor's folding/highligting).

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 pm
Profile WWW

Some additionals suggestions :

Task panel :

- Counters per type like in the Results panel
- Choose the visibles columns (only icon, type and description for example)
- A button for automatically isolate the tasks of the file of the active tab (the change of tab will be a good moment for the auto-refreshing too)
- A button for refresh (better that in the contextual menu i find)

Outline Panel :

Instead of the presets use parameters of configuration : groups, one label per getter/setter, internal before private, constructor/static in first, handlers in last (based on the parameter ASCompletion::Code Generation::Handler Generation Naming Convention) etc

Auto-Generation : For getters/setters a pop-up for choose the access modifier and the final (and secondarily if the name is the same that the property), and the possibility to copy the code in the clipboard.

nb : Speaking of the clipboard, copy without selection should not overwrite it

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm not sure if you guys just work on some very special, extra, feature items that only a few users need. But I think you need to finish the basics first.

What's bothering me every time:
  • When auto-formating an *.as file, all the folded methods open up. I have to close them all and then search for the method I was working in.
  • When renaming an identifier. All or some *.as files open and my focus lands in some neverlands. I have to go to each tab to save and close it.
  • I can't rename classes. I have to change the name of the class and then look for every other occurrence of this class to change the reference.
  • Moving classes doesn't work properly. I have to update references manually.
  • Auto-formatting switch and else-if is bugged.

Sorry, but in my eyes those are bugs because this behavior is not user friendly.
I would advise you to take a look at Eclipse and Visual Studio regarding those points. They do it right.

Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]